Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Transplant Day - Part 2 It's Time! The Stem Cells are here!!

Day Zero
Its a Celebration!! 
A new Birthday for KJ 12/5/2013!!  
It will be 3 to 4 hours before bone marrow stem cells are processed and delivered.  Meanwhile many of our family members are here playing, eating, telling stories and laughing!! I am happy everyone is here, but I'm also exhausted and emotionally drained. I look for a quiet place to sit, reflect and take it all in.  No luck.  All I want to do is curl up into my hubby's chest and wait for the 'liquid gold' to be delivered.

OMG! Its time! The stem cells have arrived!! I scream, I cry, I dance and I jump around!! 

Transplant day is usually referred to as 'Day Zero'.  What is Transplant?

Honestly, the process itself is pretty boring. Transplant is not a surgery, instead bone marrow is collected, processed and stored in a blood bag, similar to blood bag for transfusions. Then healthy new blood cells are infused into your body through intravenous (IV) line or in this case through the broviac line. The transplant team watches closely as they explain what to expect and how long it will take.  



Liquid Gold!!
Beautiful Bone Marrow Stem Cells!!
KJ falls asleep during transplant!

Two Thumbs up!
Transplant was a success!!


No comments:

Post a Comment