Sunday, January 5, 2014

I am failing him...

Keith (daddy) & KJ are both emotional after getting poked 
KJ was diagnosed with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) at birth. Needles to say Keith and I were devastated by the diagnosis. For the first five years of his life, KJ was on a daily liquid penicillin regime, a course of action that proved to be productive as he didn’t exhibit any physical signs of the disease. 
KJ’s sickle cell began to manifest a few months before his 5th birthday, doctor’s informed us that he was at risk of suffering strokes due to the lack of blood flow in his brain. Routine ultra sounds of the head, called transcranial doppler screening (TCD) was used to check the speed of the blood flow within the brain. To prevent him from suffering unimaginable pain, KJ began a series of blood transfusions. 
The reason for blood transfusions it lowers the amount of hemoglobin S red blood cells in the body.  Fewer sickled or crescent shaped hemoglobin S red blood cells in the bloodstream, less likely of cells becoming blocked or sticky. Although blood transfusions has proved to be beneficial for him, it would be required for the rest of his life. But there are also many risk factors with long term blood transfusions, such as iron overload. 
At only 5-years old, how was he going to endure getting poked in his tiny veins for life?  It was becoming harder and harder to watch him suffer, scream, kick, and fight to avoid getting poked. One day, while he sat on my lap and two nurses held him tight to start his IV, he swung his head back as hard as he could and 'head butted' me in the mouth! The pain spread across my face and tears came to my eyes. No, I didn't get angry, I asked him why would he hurt me like that? His response was "you let them do this to me!"  Those words along with his tears broke my heart.
I am failing him. I am his mother. We are his parents. We can't continue to let him suffer.  We have to protect him.  We have to ensure he's getting the best care available. And this where our journey to cure KJ began.







1 comment:

  1. You had me at "I'm failing him," Tamiko. POWERFUL. This is an incredible forum and I am encouraging you right here, right now to keep journaling your experiences for the world to read. We need your bravery, your honesty and your wisdom. You have the ability to teach, inspire and help eradicate sickle cell. I applaud you, my friend. Keep going. Much love.

    ReplyDelete