Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Transplant Day- Part 1!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

It's been a long week at the hospital watching KJ undergo chemo for the past 9-days.  Needless to say I'm physically and emotionally drained once again. Here we are the morning of transplant day! We decided its best I go home tonight since my family had arrived from Cleveland. By the time I arrived  home from the hospital everyone was asleep. I packed and prepared for tomorrow's big day.  I did not sleep well at all with so many thoughts running through my mind. I know we are doing the right thing, but yet I can't help but worry.  Why do I feel like I am sacrificing one child to save another?  Geez, it has finally hit me.  I am about to have both my babies in the hospital at the same time! Oh Lord, what is wrong with me? Maybe I didn't think this all the way through.

Thank God my mom is here! She decides its best she rides with me and Karson to the hospital. Heck, I am so focused on getting to the hospital and all the unknowns that I never had time to ask for help. I just want to arrive safely and on time with my precious cargo. Needles to say I was happy to have my mommy with me.  I take a deep and breath and pray "Thank you God for answering my silent cry for help."

Before Karson's procedure doctors cautioned us of the potential risks of not being able to collect enough stem cells and/or the risks of collecting too many stem cells. The procedure should be no longer then 2 to 3 hours. However, they will have precautions in place to monitor and measure the collection during surgery.  After the collection or 'harvest' of stem cells, cells will be sent to labs for testing and processing.

Karson is happy to hang with mommy this morning, but is worried that we left his twin brother Kalen at home. Karson has never had any type of anesthesia or surgeries so he's getting a little suspicious and asking questions.  Oh gosh how will explain this to Karson? Does he understand what is about to happen?  Will he freak out when he gets poked? Will he be in pain? What if its not enough bone marrow stems to collect? What if they take too much bone marrow? Will he be sacred?  This so emotionally draining....



Karson enjoying the playroom while nurses check his vitals.
Recovery


Karson is not worried at all heading into surgery























Karson is recovering and doing well.  All my fears and worries from this morning have been erased, doctors say "Karson was a stem cell gold mine!" Doctors were able to collect more then enough stem cells, so much they have enough left over to store for the next 10-years to be used only for KJ.
Arrive to KJ's room to join the family 



Karson is a little cranky

No comments:

Post a Comment